Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Obsession, Preoccupation, Neurosis, Crazy

How I interface with my books
Dictionary.com defines Obsession as the domination of one's thoughts or feelings by a persistent idea, image, desire, etc.

Dictionary.com defines reading as
The action or practice of a person who reads.


They are not exactly near each other in area  definitions, but In my case
Reading = Obsession.






Hi My name is Doris and I have a little problem. 


     I can't stop thinking about the book I'm reading until I'm done reading it. Do you know what it is like to be sitting in a meeting or talking to your doctor, and all you can think about is the book you have waiting for you in your bag. That's not normal you say? You can set your book down and walk away with out feeling that need to go right back to it? For some of us a book calls to us. We must read until the end of the book. I personally prefer to pick out  a series or Trilogies. One book is not enough I must read more about the characters. A single book is not enough time to really get to know them. This is not to say I won't read single stand alone books I do this often too. 

     I constantly think about the characters, the plot,and the location. I think about how I could be in a far far away land tagging along with the hero and heroine. I wonder what will happen next. Will they find the bad guy or maybe its treasure this time. I could be swimming with the dolphins or diving to find a lost city under the ocean. I love being there with a detective figures out who and how.  Being at the take down of the bad guy is always a good feeling!

     I can become so involved with a book I sometimes start to talk about the characters as if they are real people. If hear a conversation and if it makes me think of a book I have read I will blurt out So and So in the book I'm reading did that. I just leave out the part about  it is a fiction book  not a  non fiction book ;-) Darn I'm giving away all my secrets!

   Reading is my escape from the day to day pressures of life. I love that I can throw myself so deeply in to a book the world desolves around me. It drives my family nuts that I can block out everything  :-) I just wish sometimes I could let it go :-) An author friend of mine bestowed on me one of the greatest gifts she could have ever given me. She let me read the first chapter of a book she is working on. I'm so obsessed I want to know what happens next. It has been weeks and I still think about the last scene I read. What was happening, what will happen next? Will XYZ happen... AND this is not just about a silly obsession! It sucked me in! :-)   I have a need to know! :-)  I have also been know to badger authors about their next book release. You all know who you are.


     So this obsession of mine is only about 98% of the time. I know bad enough right? There are some books that I have a hard time getting in to. I will eventually read them, but it maybe in between the obsessive reading. I can't leave a book unread. Oh eek I guess that leads me right back to obsession huh? So do I need help? do they have groups for this?  Or do you think I will survive on my own?







2 comments:

  1. LOL, I think you'll survive. It'll be a close call though. :)

    Isn't reading wonderful? For me, the height of luxury is being able to sit down, glass of wine to hand, and read. I love being transported to new worlds. So many books, so little time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the vote of confidence :-)

    Reading truly is a wonderful thing. Yes to many book and not enough time! LOL When school in in session I don't get to read nearly as much as I want. Well ok I read A LOT but not the stuff I want to read LOL

    ReplyDelete